Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A True Scale Model Classic: The IMC 1/48 Lear Jet!

In 1977 I bought and built the Testors 1/48 scale Lear Jet. At the time I had no idea it was a reissue of an earlier Lear Jet model by IMC. When I got back into building model airplanes several years ago, I discovered the IMC version while perusing kits on EBay. I found the one pictured here at the Northwest I.P.M.S. spring show in Renton Saturday before last. I built it in just over a week. The Testors reissue seemed to have retained the rubber tires, chrome-plated and colored plastic bits of its IMC predecessor, but Testors updated the fuselage to reflect the newer Lear 25. The IMC kit is an early Lear 24 with the large oval windows. Having built both the Testors and the IMC Lear Jet, I think I like the IMC one better because of the large windows and the fact that it was the first plastic model kit of the Lear Jet. It was fun to build, and I would agree with the box top which says, "This kit is not intended for beginners." The full interior takes much time to assemble and paint, and fitting all the bits in while gluing the fuselage halves together is a challenge - I remember the same frustration from the Testors kit back in '77! After all is said and done though, I'm very happy with it and I look forward to displaying it in my office.

3 comments:

  1. It looks swell. BTW, I was at the show in Renton. You couldn't miss me. I was the old guy with glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What! I missed you again? Next show I'm going to wear a big sign on my head that says, "DON". By the way, did you see my Anigrand C-141A at the show? It didn't win anything but it was fun to show it off. Cargo planes are a rare subject at model shows.

      Delete
  2. I saw it. Too bad about cargo planes not getting any respect. Without them where would the armies be?

    ReplyDelete